Samāpatti (success) and Vipatti (failure) (Maṅgala Sutta – Protection with Blessing)
revised on 2020-03-24
By Venerable Uttamo Thera（尊者 鄔達摩 長老）
In this section, I want to discuss more on kammas. Because it is universal and natural laws, no living beings can escape it or stay away from it. Also, it has a lot of connections with this section. Only we have the right, and good education knows how to live this life for oneself and others and create harmonious, peaceful, and happy societies. In the small booklet: Abhidhamma in Daily Life by Ven. Sayadaw Māhaghandayone was included a section on kamma.
Samāpatti (success) and vipatti (failure): complete with related causes and lacking with related causes. In living beings’ minds, there are a lot of kammic result energies or powers latent in them. It always follows the living beings in their khandhas’ processes if they do not have the chances to give the results. When the chances and causes are there, wholesome kammas give favorable results, and unwholesome kammas give the uncomfortable results.
The four successes (samāpatti):
- Gati-samāpatti: having a good existence
- Upadhi-samāpatti: having a good look and physical structure
- Kala-samāpatti: living at the time of good periods
- Payoga-samāpatti: the presence of mindfulness, intelligence and perseverance
The four failures (vipatti):
- Gati-vipatti: having a bad existence
- Upadhi-vipatti: having an ugly look and physical structure
- Kala-vipatti: living at the time of chaos, with bad leaders and governments
- Payoga – vipatti: lacking with mindfulness, intelligence and perseverance
revised on 2020-03-24; cited from https://oba.org.tw/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4702&p=36789#p36794 (posted on 2019-09-21)
- Content of "Maṅgala Sutta – Protection with Blessing"
- Content of Publications of Ven. Uttamo
According to the translator— Ven. Uttamo's words, this is strictly for free distribution only, as a gift of Dhamma—Dhamma Dāna. You may re-format, reprint, translate, and redistribute this work in any medium.